The Stereotypical Romance

     So, as you probably know, I hate romance plots in literature, television, movies, pretty much everywhere. I believe it's totally overused and tends to overshadow more important things, as well as making at least one character look like a total idiot fawning over the other. However, as I have no way to express this idea through words, I've decided to show you the typical romance plot as I see it, which is featured in everything from Disney movies, to books about serial killers (yes this is said from recent experience).


1. Character A sees Character B

via GIPHY
2. A starts thinking about B constantly

via GIPHY
3. B acts like a decent human being


via GIPHY
4. A falls even more in "love"

via GIPHY
5. B suddenly loves A


via GIPHY
6. A and B get together and live Happily Ever After

via GIPHY
     And this my friends is why I hate romance novels and movies (although Disney makes it work occasionally). I can name 5 books with this exact plot off the top of my head, all of which I have read within the past year. All in all, I think romance is useless with fiction and should never be the main plot of a story. Also, let's appreciate that Disney made another movie with a strong and independent female character functioning as the lead role! It's a blessing, and honestly if you haven't watched Moana I recommend you do soon, the movie is fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment